Starting
from the beginning
1958 -
School Trip Annecy when in 2nd Form at Southgate County Grammar
School.
1962 -
Trip by coach with The Scooter Club to San Sebastian, Northern Spain
for 10 days.
1967 -
Got married, honeymoon in Majorica, at the Hotel Bahia, Peguera?
1968 -
Palma, terrible highrise hotel, changed rooms 5 times in first two
days. Went with Jean and Philip Eastwood.
1986 -
Faro, Portugal weeks holiday
1986 - Crete - Alexander Associates
1987 - Rhodes Island - 2 weeks in hotel. Menorca - week in hotel.
1989 -
Canary Islands - 10 days at Christmas, rained for 6 of them.
Simon for company.
1992 - Bought first motorhome. Moved house from Thirsk, back to Stevenage. A few jaunts out on my own to get used to the van.
1992 - Bought first motorhome. Moved house from Thirsk, back to Stevenage. A few jaunts out on my own to get used to the van.
1993 -
The Loire Valley - MH trip. Did nearly all the Chateaux here and
then over to the west and a few more cities there. On my own in
Motorhome.
1994 -
Spain, solo trip. Was flagged down and robbed 2nd day out from San Sebastian,
going around the Valencia motorway on way down to Calpe to meet
others. The campsite gave me a 50th Birthday Party it was a
blast! On my own in motorhome. Moved on after 6 weeks on site; south, down the coast and then turned right and found myself in the snow fields in the Sierra mountains. TBC
1996 - Met Sally, my daughter, in Phoenix, Arizona and we did the Grand Canyon, nearly every National Park in California. 6,000 miles in a hire car in a month. Wonderful journey. Will write about it someday! Flew to Dayton, Ohio to visit our friends the Custer's, down to Kentucky to their summer home and then back to Dayton to get the plane home. My Halloween Voice Activated Ghost caused some commotion at Customs on the way to the plane!
1998 -
January. Decided to go to New Zealand and meet up with my
daughter Sally who was on working trip. In a month I finished
decorating my new flat, put furniture and store and rented out both
flats in order to get some dosh to finance the trip. I went via
Sydney to Christchurch, NZ to meet Sally. We were loaned a car by
Sally's friend's brother for a whole month. We did the South
Island, what a lovely place. Plenty of rain on the west coast,
but it didn't matter. We went by coach to North Island, Mount
Manganui and were lent a Toyota Hiace by a Companion, Brian Pearson.
We spent a month touring around the North Island.
Sally
flew home and I flew to Australia to do a Kings Adventure Holiday by
coach. It involved camping and some hotels. Will also write
about this later. Great experience never thought I would ever
go back to Australia. 28 days 13000 miles or was it kms!
1999 -
January. Went out to Spain again. Down to Malaga in 36 hours,
what a drive. Just didn't want to get robbed again, never gave
anybody the chance! Missed several Companions on route; went
into Portugal and missed them there too. Took coastal route
around Portugal and northern Spain, up through France, only a 6 week
trip. Don't think I enjoyed it very much.
1999 -
September. After the splitting of the Campanions Camping Club I
decided to accompany Brian Pearson to New Zealand. He,
unfortunately was terminally ill and wanted some company whilst he
was having another round of treatment. Whilst over there I
bought a small motorhome, joined the NZ Motorcaravaners Club; what a
scream they were. Toured the North Island with them, then my
visa was about to run out and I spoke on the phone with my Sally who
suggested I go to Australia. That was it, within two weeks I
had steam cleaned the van, packed it up and it was on the boat from
Auckland to Brisbane for another adventure.
2000 -
February Brisbane, Australia. Had to stay and get the van cleared
through Oz customs, which wasn't a big deal, it all went quite
smoothly. Met up with Beverly McCulloch and Hugh McDonald both old
Companions at Bev's place (Ballina) on the coast south of Brisbane. Had hiccup with British Visa, only had tourist 3 months so had to store van (highly illegal because of Carnet rules, but no other option!). Went back to UK obtained new yearly visa and went back in October for the next 6 months. Before leaving Oz joined up with the CMCA the motorhome Club of Australia and met lots of lovely people some of whom (2014) I'm still in touch. Lovely. Came back to UK and worked at Glaxo for 5 months, then went back to Oz. Sorted out my 12 month Visa this time. Picked up van and headed out to meet up with Solo's Group of the CMCA. Had Christmas with Bev and Hugh in Byron Bay, prawns for Christmas dinner.
2001 - Australia Went To Tasmania, met up with Kelvin and son. Back to Melbourne, then Adelaide. Travelled across Nullibor Plain and went up to Kalgoolie and about 200 miles east towards the gold fields where we proceeded to search for gold. Found quite a few small nuggets until I found my one. Kelvin not amused. However it was a good size I decided he could have all the rest and I would keep my nugget. Travelled to York where Kelvin decided to buy a rather run down house. I left my stuff there and put the van on the boat back to New Zealand on about the 7th September. Then 9-11 happened. Everybody in shock except K. He though it was about time the USA was hit! I got on a plane with a lot of security at the airport in Perth back to Auckland in order to try and sell my van back in New Zealand and arrange to go back home. My Sally had been on the Twin Towers just a fortnight before this dreadful episode happened. It was she who phoned me to tell me what happened on the morning of the 11th September.
2002 - Came back out to Australia in the January and bought an old 1978 Range Rover and a little caravan in order to travel by myself through Western Australia and beyond.
2003 - Australia till March, then Simon and Kate got married. Went back to Oz early May, fell out of the van in Kalbari and decided enough was enough. Time to go back home. Got to Perth, sold the caravan, my old Range Rover and all my possessions that I couldn't airfreight back to UK. Did pack up a lot and still have the solar panels on top of my roof bought 2000, now it's 2015! Got back in August joined New Companions and was told to keep a low profile. Had some snide comments on being back, but most people were human! Didn't feel like I'd been away for all those years. September brought the news that my first grandchild was expected March 2004! Horray, have waited a long time. Still had my VW Autosleeper van can't remember the name now, but decided to buy a caravan to live in until I found where I wanted to live. Decided to take up residence in Peters Green a CL a few miles from Harpenden where the kids lived.
2004 - Baby arrived, did a lot of baby sitting and just the odd Companions meet. Not now possible to go on long journeys as Nanna duties took over.
2005 - Baby sat and got out with Companions when I could. Bought house in Luton to be near kids, sold the VW and bought Kia Sedona. Within a fortnight the bloody thing had blown a head gasket and was told by the garage manager that it had been run with petrol in the diesel. I was furious, I wouldn't have bought it had I known. The garage had it for nearly 6 weeks and spent £3000+ on repairs. My first trip out towing the caravan and smoke appeared out the exhaust all over the caravan. Called AA and the garage had not tightened the injectors!!!!! Got low loaded to midlands to FreeWheelers meet and the wardens were marvellous and there was a Kia agent in town. Marvellous £60 later and I was back on the road. Never went back to that garage in Milton Keynes ever again. Garages, the bane of my life! Started to do Alexander Technique lessons again and remodel the house in order to eventually rent out so that I could get back on the road. I just don't like living in houses!
2006 - UK mostly, baby sitting now called Nanna Noonoo after the hoover on the teletubbies. That's because I used to do the cleaning at S & K's. Still going out with Companions to various places throughout UK.
Rosanna born 17th October 2005
2007 - Lost all my energy and was diagnosed with low thyroid, so went on low dosage and I definitely picked up!
2008 - The 5 years was up for looking after the girls, but wasn't inclined to go abroad, still didn't want to go to Spain, couldn't motivate myself. Little Margot was born on September 1st, so more baby sitting. What a handful. I now know I'm getting older, can't cope quite so much, not with three of them.
2009 - UK still.
2010 - Decided to go to Morocco with other New Companions. Big upheaval leading the girls behind, but I needed to go back out there. See Blog on Morocco.
2011 - Spain January -March Went to Holland and met up with Barbara and Brian and went to Flower Show except spring was late and there were no tulips.
2012 -Spain January-March. Tenant said he was leaving end of March. Bugger. I was thinking of going off to Turkey straight from Spain, but I decided to go back home and then leave for Turkey about 2nd May 2012. See 1st blog on where and when I went.
2013 - Did go to Spain yet again in January and stayed a couple of months. July, met John Woodward, literally on the entrance to a field in Willington. We got on so well, it was lovely. Met aqgain in early September to discuss trip to Croatia and possibly Greece, however, JW thought it was too much and decided not to come. After a while he relented and did come and meet up with me at Peters Green about 14th Sept 2013. We decided to go in two separate vans because I really didn't know each other!!! Great trip read synopsis of trip.
2014 - May through June to Hungary with John and Ollie. In September we did a tour of France read both blogs here.
2015 - Went to Spain and skiing in France in Jan and Feb into March. Because John had to find a more permanent care home for his Mum we didn't get away until September, where we are now in Croatia. Hopefully weather going to pick up, or I'll be writing more of this blog. Love it when there is good free wifi on site.
2016 - February - Went to France skiing then down to Spain.
2016 - October - Went to Portugal and came back through France November 26th.
2017 - January - France skiing - Spain
September - Off to Greece, through Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria then Greece. Had a great time. Unfortunately John's sister diagnosed with brain tumor so cut short out visit and ferried across to Brindisi and drove up through eastern Italy, what a change from the west coast. Home by October 15th. Anne OK now after op, recuperating beautifully.
2001 - Australia Went To Tasmania, met up with Kelvin and son. Back to Melbourne, then Adelaide. Travelled across Nullibor Plain and went up to Kalgoolie and about 200 miles east towards the gold fields where we proceeded to search for gold. Found quite a few small nuggets until I found my one. Kelvin not amused. However it was a good size I decided he could have all the rest and I would keep my nugget. Travelled to York where Kelvin decided to buy a rather run down house. I left my stuff there and put the van on the boat back to New Zealand on about the 7th September. Then 9-11 happened. Everybody in shock except K. He though it was about time the USA was hit! I got on a plane with a lot of security at the airport in Perth back to Auckland in order to try and sell my van back in New Zealand and arrange to go back home. My Sally had been on the Twin Towers just a fortnight before this dreadful episode happened. It was she who phoned me to tell me what happened on the morning of the 11th September.
2002 - Came back out to Australia in the January and bought an old 1978 Range Rover and a little caravan in order to travel by myself through Western Australia and beyond.
2003 - Australia till March, then Simon and Kate got married. Went back to Oz early May, fell out of the van in Kalbari and decided enough was enough. Time to go back home. Got to Perth, sold the caravan, my old Range Rover and all my possessions that I couldn't airfreight back to UK. Did pack up a lot and still have the solar panels on top of my roof bought 2000, now it's 2015! Got back in August joined New Companions and was told to keep a low profile. Had some snide comments on being back, but most people were human! Didn't feel like I'd been away for all those years. September brought the news that my first grandchild was expected March 2004! Horray, have waited a long time. Still had my VW Autosleeper van can't remember the name now, but decided to buy a caravan to live in until I found where I wanted to live. Decided to take up residence in Peters Green a CL a few miles from Harpenden where the kids lived.
2004 - Baby arrived, did a lot of baby sitting and just the odd Companions meet. Not now possible to go on long journeys as Nanna duties took over.
2005 - Baby sat and got out with Companions when I could. Bought house in Luton to be near kids, sold the VW and bought Kia Sedona. Within a fortnight the bloody thing had blown a head gasket and was told by the garage manager that it had been run with petrol in the diesel. I was furious, I wouldn't have bought it had I known. The garage had it for nearly 6 weeks and spent £3000+ on repairs. My first trip out towing the caravan and smoke appeared out the exhaust all over the caravan. Called AA and the garage had not tightened the injectors!!!!! Got low loaded to midlands to FreeWheelers meet and the wardens were marvellous and there was a Kia agent in town. Marvellous £60 later and I was back on the road. Never went back to that garage in Milton Keynes ever again. Garages, the bane of my life! Started to do Alexander Technique lessons again and remodel the house in order to eventually rent out so that I could get back on the road. I just don't like living in houses!
2006 - UK mostly, baby sitting now called Nanna Noonoo after the hoover on the teletubbies. That's because I used to do the cleaning at S & K's. Still going out with Companions to various places throughout UK.
Rosanna born 17th October 2005
2007 - Lost all my energy and was diagnosed with low thyroid, so went on low dosage and I definitely picked up!
2008 - The 5 years was up for looking after the girls, but wasn't inclined to go abroad, still didn't want to go to Spain, couldn't motivate myself. Little Margot was born on September 1st, so more baby sitting. What a handful. I now know I'm getting older, can't cope quite so much, not with three of them.
2009 - UK still.
2010 - Decided to go to Morocco with other New Companions. Big upheaval leading the girls behind, but I needed to go back out there. See Blog on Morocco.
2011 - Spain January -March Went to Holland and met up with Barbara and Brian and went to Flower Show except spring was late and there were no tulips.
2012 -Spain January-March. Tenant said he was leaving end of March. Bugger. I was thinking of going off to Turkey straight from Spain, but I decided to go back home and then leave for Turkey about 2nd May 2012. See 1st blog on where and when I went.
2013 - Did go to Spain yet again in January and stayed a couple of months. July, met John Woodward, literally on the entrance to a field in Willington. We got on so well, it was lovely. Met aqgain in early September to discuss trip to Croatia and possibly Greece, however, JW thought it was too much and decided not to come. After a while he relented and did come and meet up with me at Peters Green about 14th Sept 2013. We decided to go in two separate vans because I really didn't know each other!!! Great trip read synopsis of trip.
2014 - May through June to Hungary with John and Ollie. In September we did a tour of France read both blogs here.
2015 - Went to Spain and skiing in France in Jan and Feb into March. Because John had to find a more permanent care home for his Mum we didn't get away until September, where we are now in Croatia. Hopefully weather going to pick up, or I'll be writing more of this blog. Love it when there is good free wifi on site.
2016 - February - Went to France skiing then down to Spain.
2016 - October - Went to Portugal and came back through France November 26th.
2017 - January - France skiing - Spain
September - Off to Greece, through Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria then Greece. Had a great time. Unfortunately John's sister diagnosed with brain tumor so cut short out visit and ferried across to Brindisi and drove up through eastern Italy, what a change from the west coast. Home by October 15th. Anne OK now after op, recuperating beautifully.
2018 - January, French Alps for John to go skiing. Down to Spain
September through France to Northern Spain and down to Portugal.
2019 - January, French Alps Jenny joined us for a week then to Spain, Benicassim.
No comments:
Post a Comment